Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul[_9_] Paul[_9_] is offline

Default build yer own bar feeder/puller

In article s.com, "Karl
Townsend" wrote:

I need to come up with a way to feed bar stock on my Hardinge CHNC. As I
don't have room for a real bar feeder, I'm looking for a way to feed short
bar stock, maybe 4' or 6'.

I seen this on eBay http://tinyurl.com/2sp8qz I'm sure it won't fit my
machine but it looks easy to build. Then I could just have a support tube
behind the spindle.

Anybody used one? Do they work well? I'm assuming you just use spring
tension/ deflection to hold and pull the bar stock as I see no air cylinder.
Correct?

Other good ideas to feed bar stock for an HSM type?

Karl

Karl,

You did not say what msize bar you want to pull.
I pull up to 7/8 inch on my cnc with the Dunham pullers.
They are just like what Gunner said, but you don't have to make them:

http://www.dunhamtool.com/cnc_lathe_bar_puller.html

A rattle-tube out the back end to keep stock from whipping works just fine.
Do find some plastic tube to line with that is just a bit bigger than your
stock.

G'luck

--
Paul S.