Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tanus Tanus is offline

Default Source for dyed (green) bottle stopper blanks (OT!)

wrote:
On Feb 1, 9:24 am, (Arch) wrote:

What a difference a word makes! Remember the popular song, "Three Little
Words"? In an otherwise thoughtful post to this thread, merely changing
"Rubbish" to "In MY Opinion" or "From what I've read" would have
changed the thrust of the discussion

Undoubtedly. But carrying the mantle of self righteousness requires a
certain vocabulary. No doubt, it has started many a flame war.

Sadly, it seems the internet brings out the best and worst of folks,
and they don't really seem to relate well to one another when sitting
in front of screen.

And for years now, the art of respectful disagreement has been lost.
I usually respect another's opinion enough (or simply don't care about
it!) to let things go, or pose my own thoughts as a hypothesis or a
question.

I rarely bitch slap anyone these days.

I am not a hard line kind of guy, as over my years in the trades have
seen many things work that probably shouldn't. I have learned a
healthy respect for others pays good dividends, even if you disagree
with them.

And when you have an open forum such as this, I think it is important
to remember there are probably 10 times the amount of lurkers as there
are posters. While a poster may have a valid or invalid point, it may
be posted as an opinion. And no one wants to see their opinion
stomped on in a rude, bullying way.

And as is the case of this group, many simply don't participate. It
is too easy to walk off from an annoying thread. Reading this forum
for many probably consists of a quick skim (if there is actually
anything new to read) and then off. It used to be pretty lively
around here. I remember in the late 90s there were a ton of posts
every day.

I don't want to see this group fall in to the ways of the BBQ
newsgroup. There are a about 3 guys there that jump all over anyone
that asks a dumb question, or has an opinion different from theirs.
Now mind you .... bbq is subjective. If you don't like the taste of
something and I do, I don't expect to be attacked for my tasted buds.
And yet it happens.

Mentioning that I liked mesquite mixed in with my bbq, I had a guy
from Austin get so upset with me that after a couple of emails he told
me my bbq tastes "like ****" (how he would know from 100 miles away is
beyond me) and that he would come down and kick my ass (literally!)
anytime I was up to it.

I think of these newsgroups as the shoolyard of the internet. Anyone
can do or say what they please when they please. But since we have no
hall monitors, teachers, or anyone else to make sure that we "play
well with others" it is up to us to make sure we do.

Robert

Since I know squat about dyes, drying
and the penetration of alcohol in wood,
I've just watched this thread a bit. But
it's OT and has moved into an area of
behaviour where we all can participate
if we so choose.

Well said, Robert. Done with a lot of
class.

I've been in groups where they're
"owned" by a loud few and I've left
those groups. Some leave because they're
intimidated, some leave because they're
physically threatened, and some, like
me, leave because they're bored and
aren't getting the interaction from the
group that it was originally built for.

For the most part, I do get what I came
for in this group. I'm not very active
because right now I'm mostly lurking and
sponging information. If, or as, my
skill level comes up, I'll probably be
more active. I'm not normally known as a
quiet member of any group for long.

I too, can appreciate a healthy
disagreement. In many ways, it adds to a
group, regardless of where it goes, as
long as it doesn't degrade into flames.
But it's often the ones who scream the
loudest who get the most attention.

However, I will take issue with your
closing statements. Yeah, it's a
schoolyard to an extent, and certainly
there are some bullies. I happen to like
unmoderated groups over the ones with
posts that can be pulled. But just
because a group is unmoderated doesn't
mean it's chaotic. I don't think this