Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Nobody Special Nobody Special is offline

Default Dye penetration

wrote:
On Jan 31, 9:22 am, Nobody Special wrote:

I did go get a nice piece of maple burl yesterday and stuck a
sliver into some TransTint (water soluble) dye yesterday for
about 1.5hrs. Pretty much no penetration.

Updates:
1) It's transfast powder, not transtint. I'm not sure
how different they are, but the jar doesn't mention
dissolving in alcohol at all.

2) A piece left in alcohol-dissolved transfast overnight
then sliced showed little to no pigment penetration
(approx 19 hrs). Maybe I'll get out the camera and put
together a page with the data points here.
Several other pieces are still soaking.

3) I got a vacuum pump off craigslist today and after too
many trips to the BORG (I hate buying brass fittings there)
got a pickle jar dropped to where the blocks bubbled and sank
into the alcohol-dissolved transtint (liquid this time) dye.
(I don't have guages, so I don't know what in/Hg it was at).
Updates to follow tomorrow. I'll have to see how well the jar
holds vaccuum - so far I had to tighten down the fittings a couple
of times. Should have taped the threads, but was in a hurry.

That's why I put in the earlier post to mix with alcohol. It is
miscible with water, and will actually pull the surface moisture out
of the wood to a small extent, penetrating more than water, bringing
the dye along with it.

--
Nobody Special