Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Outlet Wire Connections

Terry laid it out very nicely in a reply to the OP. You replied to me. I
merely answered the OP's question. The NEC says boxes must be accessible
without removing any part of the building. I have no idea what type of
cabinets or how they are attached. Without that information I can't be sure
any violation has been created. Code also requires an outlet in the garage,
and it must be gfci protected. Maybe she has one, she didn't say and I
didn't ask. Don't blame me for giving her a straight answer to her question

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Feb 1, 3:39 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Feb 1, 3:08 pm, "RBM" wrote:

Wire nut the two blacks together, then wire nut the two whites together.
Done

"Heather" wrote in message

I have a *NON*-GFCI 15A 125V duplex receptacle outlet in the garage.
(It reads 15A 125V on the front of the receptacle.) I was installing
cabinets along that wall and had to remove the outlet's coverplate and
receptacle so that the cabinet could be installed flush to the wall.
I removed the receptacle and taped off each wire individually
(connecting nothing together) and installed my cabinets. Shortly
after that, I discovered that many of the other outlets in the house
did not work! Ugh! I assume that all those outlets are wired in
series and I broke the circuit? I removed the cabinet so I can
reconnect the wires. Here's where I need help.

I have FIVE wires: TWO black hot wires, TWO white neutral wires and
ONE bare ground wire. Which wires do I connect - - And how? (Wire
nuts?) And if matters WHICH white or WHICH black wire, how do I
figure that out?

Many thanks!
Heather- Hide quoted text -

If you wire nut the wires together, you will have created a junction
box. You are not allowed to conceal a junction box inside a wall or
behind a cabinet.

That's not what NEC 370.29 says. If her cabinet can be easily removed for
access, I don't see it as a problem. The OP only asked how to make the
splice and nothing about possible code violations- Hide quoted text -

The OP only asked how to make the splice and nothing about
possible code violations

True, but don't you think the "nice guy" in all of us should at least
point out possible problems associated with what a poster is asking
about?

Here's an extreme example - if a poster said "I have a bunch of luan
lying around and want to build some stairs. How wide is standard
tread?" Don't we have *some* obligation to point out that luan might
not be the best material for stair treads?