Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Add a bath to a slab house??

"PirateBird" wrote

I've seen sewage ejectors that lift the waste to a higher elevation and
allow a
gravity feed to work. Is there anything for the an entire bathroom?
toilet,
shower, vanity bowl?

Yes, but IMHO this hits professional installers and isnt really a 'DIY' sort
though you may be able to do some of it to cut the costs down. I'd get with
an installer for an estimate before you design anything and start building.

Mom had to have something setup for that with a bathroom we added to a
basement. I was too young to recall much details but there was some sort of
pump thingie and a raised floor for that section for the pipes. Mostly I
remember what a pain the raised floor was as my brother and I had to build
that and we got it wrong (not high enough) so had to rip it out and start
over.

I *think* the egress pipe to the sewer was about 3ft up from the basement
floor? Maybe a bit less. We had to do a raised section all the way to that
wall then there was a 'thingie' (pump I guess) installed. The bathroom just
above the basement one, was rerouted to use that but I do not recall why.
Possibly something to do with the venting? It was expensive work but it
paid for itself in house value when we sold.

I know it would vary by county & city, but do you think a zoning board
would
allow a sceptic system in the rear of a house already serviced by public
sewer?

You could ask, but I imagine that would cost more to install than the pump
unit even if allowed.