Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Outlet Wire Connections

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 13:16:24 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Feb 1, 3:39?pm, "RBM" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Feb 1, 3:08 pm, "RBM" wrote:

Wire nut the two blacks together, then wire nut the two whites together.
Done

"Heather" wrote in message

I have a *NON*-GFCI 15A 125V duplex receptacle outlet in the garage.
(It reads 15A 125V on the front of the receptacle.) I was installing
cabinets along that wall and had to remove the outlet's coverplate and
receptacle so that the cabinet could be installed flush to the wall.
I removed the receptacle and taped off each wire individually
(connecting nothing together) and installed my cabinets. Shortly
after that, I discovered that many of the other outlets in the house
did not work! Ugh! I assume that all those outlets are wired in
series and I broke the circuit? I removed the cabinet so I can
reconnect the wires. Here's where I need help.

I have FIVE wires: TWO black hot wires, TWO white neutral wires and
ONE bare ground wire. Which wires do I connect - - And how? (Wire
nuts?) And if matters WHICH white or WHICH black wire, how do I
figure that out?

Many thanks!
Heather- Hide quoted text -

If you wire nut the wires together, you will have created a junction
box. You are not allowed to conceal a junction box inside a wall or
behind a cabinet.

That's not what NEC 370.29 says. If her cabinet can be easily removed for
access, I don't see it as a problem. The OP only asked how to make the
splice and nothing about possible code violations- Hide quoted text -

ideally cut a hole in the cabinet, and use a blank cover plate

I mean, it is a garage cabinet! Outlet box extension if needed.

Oren