Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Nobody Special Nobody Special is offline

Default Source for dyed (green) bottle stopper blanks

wrote:
On Jan 31, 9:48 pm, Nobody Special wrote:

I was selling the polyester for $20 and the wood ones for $25
this summer. But that was at Thistle (class of sailboat) Nationals-
which is why they're shaped like Thistles.

I got it now. When I looked at the pic you linked, I thought it
looked pretty spiff, but when looking at them didn't get the actual
reason for the thistle design.
Seems to be a nice lady. Her site:

http://www.torne-lignum.com

Thanks for the price info. It lets me know I am about where I need to
be. I am not that happy with the pricing, as it takes too long to
make to get $10 - $15 from it by the time you are finished. (We'll
leave out postage, finishing materials, transportation costs, etc.)

I'm thinking I'll have to raise my prices by $5 for the SS, maybe
that much for boxelder since that's no longer available. That'll
give me a range from $20-35 and a better feel for what the market will
handle.

My feeling is $25, maybe $30 is going to be the point of resistance.
I also had a number of cigar pens at nationals ($45). Several lookers
but only one buyer.

As for how long it takes to turn one, last night I realized I'd
dropped my (old Delta) to its slowest speed (belt adjusted) for a bowl
I was doing. Kept getting catches, and it was taking an hour to
turn a stopper. Bumped it up 2 notches and things are much happier-
and faster.

Today I walked past someone cleaning out a cube "Hey- got
a motor controller for a 3/4Hp AC motor?" He replied "Sure, you know
how to program it?" It's good to be an EE.

I am thinking of going another route with this, if you are interested,
let me know here and we can contact each other.

I answer to jason at my domain -- check the picture URL

I am surprised no one else chimed in with their stopper prices. Mac?
Nothing? I can't believe you aren't selling tequila toppers (not
stoppers!) down there south of the border.

Robert