Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie charlie is offline

Default Source for dyed (green) bottle stopper blanks

wrote in message
On Jan 31, 9:48 pm, Nobody Special wrote:

I was selling the polyester for $20 and the wood ones for $25
this summer. But that was at Thistle (class of sailboat) Nationals-
which is why they're shaped like Thistles.

I got it now. When I looked at the pic you linked, I thought it
looked pretty spiff, but when looking at them didn't get the actual
reason for the thistle design.

For years, I have heard nothing but great stuff about AS in regards to
their service and product. That says a lot to me. I have been
purchasing from Craft Supplies, but probably won't anymore as they
were only offering chrome stoppers. Whether true or not, the hue and
cry is on to get rid of the chrome stoppers as the story goes that the
chrome comes off. Mine haven't, nor have the ones I have gifted.

I was thinking about buying mine from Ruth Niles, another person whom
there hasn't been an unkind word spoken. She used to frequent the
forums and newsgroups more often, but I think she just got too
busy.
Seems to be a nice lady. Her site:

http://www.torne-lignum.com

Thanks for the price info. It lets me know I am about where I need to
be. I am not that happy with the pricing, as it takes too long to
make to get $10 - $15 from it by the time you are finished. (We'll
leave out postage, finishing materials, transportation costs, etc.)

I am thinking of going another route with this, if you are interested,
let me know here and we can contact each other.

I am surprised no one else chimed in with their stopper prices. Mac?
Nothing? I can't believe you aren't selling tequila toppers (not
stoppers!) down there south of the border.

Robert

i've made some for my glass work, and worked with ruth on her steel tab
design for glassworkers. i get between 25 and 40 for them, depending upon if
they're 2 sided and how much glass i've added. my last batch of stoppers
cost me about .90/each but the plating is incredibly thin, discolors,
corrodes, and peels off, so you really do get your money's worth.

here's what i used:
http://www.partyandweddingfavors.com...&products_id=9

regards,
charlie