Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca clare at snyder.on.ca is offline

Default Car Batteries

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 07:09:23 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote: (clip) Can present day batteries be tapped somehow?
Any ideas?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Those bus bars must still be there, only covered with tar, or other black
insulating material. I suggest you figure out where the correct bus bar
ought to be, and try digging down to see whether you can make contact. You
might just try probing with a meter lead. If you find the spot, run a
self-tapping screw in and connect to it.

The intercell connectors in most batteries no longer run "over the
top" and the cases are hard plastic. You will NOT be successful
digging in the top of the battery. Better to just get a solid state
voltage regulator and use it for the gauges. I've done it many times
on 12 volt vehicles where the old thermal regulators caused radio
noise.