Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default build yer own bar feeder/puller

Karl Townsend wrote:

Other good ideas to feed bar stock for an HSM type?

I bought a Dunham bar puller setup. Page 1675 in the current
MSC catalog. These certainly work well. I have an Omniturn,
but no control over spindle or collet closer yet. Looking to
shave some time and save wear and tear on the brake, I made
up a bearing adapter for the Dunham setup. It pulls stock
through an open rotating collet just fine, but it's too long
for most of the work I do. I've been thinking about a
redesign to shorten it but haven't gotten a roundtuit.

I also wonder a bit about collet/spindle taper wear if the
bar stock is not running nice and true on the spindle
centerline....

I made a dedicated puller based loosely on the Dunham, but
milled the sides off. I have a part I'm running where I have
no room for the full width of the Dunham style. Whole
toolbar is custom and laid out in CAD. With anticipated use
of up to 1" stock, there is a scant .100 clearance between
tools and material, shaving the sides off allowed me to
squeeze the custom puller in place.

Something I'm looking for is an inexpensive spindle liner
setup. Something more in the HSM cost range. Yeah, I'm just
a cheap *******.... lol.

If you're interested in seeing my dedicated puller and the
rotating one, I'll see about taking a couple pics and
posting to the dropbox.

Jon