Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Huge changes in eBay feedback

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
On 2008-02-01, Bill wrote:

Wes wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

At serveral surplus locations that I frequent, I note that there is
always a gathering of Ebayers who attempt to scoop up anything
saleable. They are not welcomed by the rest of those who are there to
reuse the items in their shops and more than once I have seen very
heated discussions concerning their practices.

Well in addition to Ebayers there always seems to be those that are
looking
for items for their permanent yard sales.

[ ... ]

People go to auctions to buy stuff. The high bidder gets it. What they
do with it afterwards is really nobodies elses business. If I am buying
something for my shop I spend more on it than I do if I am buying to
resale it. It seems that you are just mad because stuff is going higher
than you want to pay.

I didn't see anything in the quoted material to indicate that
this was an *auction*, just a "surplus location". There are surplus
locations which either have fixed prices on the items for sale, or you
bring them up to the checkout counter, and the person there decides on a
price. If it is too much, you don't buy some or all of it -- or try
haggling. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

I used to buy stuff at GSA auctions at the Nevada Test Site. I got some
absolute steals on some things, and saw other things sold for way more than
they were worth. Knowing the value of what you're looking at sure helps,
but not everyone has that ability.

One of my Boy Scouts dad bought bankrupt machinery and industrial items. He
said the trick was to know you had it sold before you even bought it. He
would buy truckloads, taking trash, treasure, and all, and paid pennies on
the dollar.

Steve