Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Phil Kangas[_2_] Phil Kangas[_2_] is offline

Default welding smoke pipe

You guys are absolutely nuts! Under _NO_ circumstance should
there
ever be liquid creosote in your smoke pipes! Jeezz......
phil kangas

The right of the people to keep and bear
arms shall not be infringed.

"sylvan butler"
wrote in message
rnal...
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 08:19:33 -0800 (PST),

wrote:
Might be a silly thought, but, do you have the pipe

sections aimed in the
right direction?
The lower pipe should enter inside the pipe above it to

help with creosote
buildup and
air leaks.

That's backwards as far as my experience shows, and I've

seen the same
woodstove set up both ways. The upper pipe should go

inside the lower
so that condensing smoke (liquid creosote) continues to

drip down
towards the stove firebox, and not out at the joints and

onto the

exactly!

And if there does happen to be a chimney fire, that liquid

creosote will
be flaming liquid creosote and you really want it to stay

contained.

With double-wall or triple-wall pipe, just make certain

the inner pipe
is oriented so liquid flowing down the chimney cannot run

out.

floor. With a good draft, the direction shouldn't

matter to the smoke
as the leaks shouldn't let smoke out but pull air into

the pipe
instead, so the flow of creosote determines which way

the flanges go.

Yup.

If you need to control the smoke with the direction of

the flanges,
then you don't have enough draft.

Sounds that way. Another possiblity might be a tight

house -- negative
pressure inside can cause poor draft.

You also might have too much stove for your

space--remember a

Yes. My last place I put in the smallest stove

cosmetically acceptable
to SWMBO. It was a new house, and easy to overheat.

During one of
those "it's too hot in here" moments I found out the draft

worked a lot
better with a window cracked open just a bit.

sdb