Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default Recycling caps from circuit boards - does anybody else here do this?

writes:

On Jan 31, 7:20*am, "radiosrfun" wrote:
I remove any "good" or at least "thought" to be good parts which

can be done
as quickly as possible without being destroyed in the process. I do

so from
most any item. I've got parts from many older AM/FM radios - 2 way

radios -
CBs, etc. The "ONLY" way I use to "repair" is if the part is no

longer
available otherwise - to replace "new". The "majority" of parts are

used for
my own use - building items to serve me on the bench. I've built

some basic
equipment from scratch parts out of junked items - which has saved

me lots
of time.

Saving parts isn't so bad - you're recycling - those which can be

used. AND
some day - they may dry up! Look at it positively - "not"

negatively.

Good grief not small electrolytics !! We buy those in 1000 lot to
repair the old Sony and Panasonic gear. SMT 'lytics are the WORST. The
old US built gear (Ampex notably) has nearly no issues with caps. We
do keep 'donor' machines for the hard to get or oddball parts.

At the very least, any salvaged electrolytics should be tested for
ESR and uF value. And of course that they haven't pre-exploded or
leaked.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/