Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim[_2_] Speedy Jim[_2_] is offline

Default What to do in case of sewage backup?

peter wrote:
I'm trying to prepare for emegency situations, but I have no answer for this
one: if sewage backups out of my sink or toilet, what should I do? I live in
a 2 story house with crawl space, surrounded by dozens of similar houses all
built aound 20 to 30 years ago. This is not a flood zone; there is no
backflow preventer. There is also no rentention pond. The area is on a
plateau (flat for miles but is a few hundred feet above sea level).

Crawl space means no floor drains, as there would be in
a basement. Right? So, all the fixtures are well above
grade level.

In that case, I would say there is zero likelihood of
backup out of toilets/sinks due to stoppage/flooding of
the city sewer.

If there was a stoppage, either in the sewer or in your
lateral connection (tree roots) AND you flushed a toilet,
then it would/could backup within your house.

Is that what you were looking for?

Jim