Posted to alt.home.repair
Beach Trading Company Beach Trading Company is offline

Default heat pump -elect coils

I agree with the other poster who said that you should pick a thermostat
setting and leave it alone. * *Timers cause more problems than they solve
when you have a heat pump.

This is a very timely conversation for me. I just replaced my aging
heat pump with one of the top of the line Carrier units. The
literature estimated I could save as much as 60% over the 10 year old
unit. (BS of course) Last months electric bill just came in and I used
more electricity than the same period last year. Temps have not been
unusual this year. This unit came with a set back thermostat and I
drop the temps overnight about 8 degrees. As you can imagine the heat
strips kick in when it tries to bring the temps back up to daytime
levels. I was wondering if I was wasting more power than I was saving
by running the unit this way. Is there any temp setback that might
give you some savings or is it really best to leave it fixed?

Rich B
www.beachtradingco.com