Posted to sci.electronics.repair
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default Question about caller ID

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:36:19 -0600, Ken wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Ken" wrote in message
. ..

Why does the Caller ID data differ from phone to phone?
One will list the name of the person while another might
only list the town along with the phone number. I thought
the data was supplied by the originating phone company
and therefore would be the same for each phone.

That's correct -- it is and it should be.

Presumably different manufacturers select different CID items to display.
Check the user manuals -- it might be possible to change what's displayed.

This appears to be the case, but I see no mention in the user manuals
as to how to select what is displayed.

Because you can't... The dsigner made that decision for you.

It is a little bizarre that
phones made by the same manufacturer display different data when a call
comes in.

Which means nothing. Possibly designed by different branches of the
same company. Though I am confused since you said one was a GE and the
other was an ATT...

Of course they are probably "Contract made" rather than made
by the name of the company on the phone.

Good guess, that is what i'd think too.

Smitty Two seems to be somewhat correct in that at least one of the
phones puts the name for caller ID as it resides in the directory (i.e.
Johnny) in the phone. Others appear to use the listing as it appears in
their phone company customer records (i.e. John Smith).

Caller ID information varies by provider, country and other factors...