Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Question about caller ID

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Ken wrote:

I realize this is somewhat removed from the topic of the newsgroup, but
I searched for another group and found none specific to my question
type. Since this group is filled with knowledgeable people in
electronics, I thought I might find an answer.

I have several cordless phones in my home hooked to my single phone
line. They are both different models by the same manufacturer (AT&T and
GE), and of course different brands. My question is why does the data
listed for Caller ID differ from phone to phone? One will list the name
of the person while another might only list the town along with the
phone number. I thought the data was supplied by the originating phone
company and therefore would be the same for each phone.

Just curious. Thanks.

I don't have caller ID, but always assumed that the phone would only
display a name if you have that person's name programmed into the
phone's speed dial system. Isn't that the same as a cell phone?

No, but I believe that some of the info is generated from within the
phone. Mostly, it's related to lack of info, like unlisted and blocked
ID's, that varies from phone to phone.

Cells vary as well, as to the degree that they display ID info, I believe.

jak