Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Radiosrfun Radiosrfun is offline

Default Recycling caps from circuit boards - does anybody else here do this?

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

"Terry F." wrote in message
Instead of throwing away old circuit boards which are beyond repair,
I find myself removing the caps etc for possible future re-use (just
using a soldering iron, as wick is quite expensive). Is anyone else
here this sad? :-)

Show me the true professional on here who doesn't. Like James, I keep
a scrap box (in ham radio circles, it's called "The Junk Box" and
stuff built from it is called "Junk Box Construction") and use parts
culled from it, regularly. I don't pre-remove the parts that 'might'
be useful. Just remove stuff, as it's needed.

Arfa

At TEK,I built a 2213 from boards and parts that other techs gave up on
and
threw away.
Got a free "B-grade" CRT from the head of CRT manufacturing,had to spend
about $50 on a few new parts.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I remove any "good" or at least "thought" to be good parts which can be done
as quickly as possible without being destroyed in the process. I do so from
most any item. I've got parts from many older AM/FM radios - 2 way radios -
CBs, etc. The "ONLY" way I use to "repair" is if the part is no longer
available otherwise - to replace "new". The "majority" of parts are used for
my own use - building items to serve me on the bench. I've built some basic
equipment from scratch parts out of junked items - which has saved me lots
of time.

Saving parts isn't so bad - you're recycling - those which can be used. AND
some day - they may dry up! Look at it positively - "not" negatively.