Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus18705 Ignoramus18705 is offline

Default Desoldering question (Miller XMT welder repair)

On Jan 31, 1:28 am, Ignoramus19508 ignoramus19...@NOSPAM.

On 2008-01-30, Don Foreman wrote:

The name (SMD2000) suggests that it is intended mostly for use with
surfacemount devices. Very little solder is used per connection with
these tiny devices and soldering irons (as by Pace) are quite small.
A better choice for larger connections, like switches in a welder,
would be a heavier iron (Weller?) and a manual soldersucker as
"Soldapullt".
http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bi...uct/2920-0019/

No, these things (at least with the right handpiece, like the
SX70) can remove an INCREDIBLE amount of solder in one slurp.
Remember, companies won't pay $2500 for something like this if
it didn't actually work. One nice thing about this sort of unit
is it has a temperature-controlled heater with temperature
readout of the tip, and the heating tip is also the sucker, so
you don't have to switch quickly from soldering iron to sucker
before the joint cools. Another nice thing about the high-end
Pace and Weller gear is that individual replacement parts are
available, so you can replace any single piece that wears out or
breaks.

After adjusting vacuum adjustment to highest vacuum, I tried the PACE
station today on some junk boards, it sucks solder very well now.

I do indeed like its temp control and other features. I have it set at
950 degrees.

I will now look for accessories for it.

Ig

Those pace stations truly do separate TEMPERATURE and POWER

the "sensatemp" family of irons deliver their power at whatever
temperature they are set at. they will melt more at 5-600F than at
900F without damaging the underlying equipment when its sensitive to
high heat.

Yes, that's what mine does.

you might actually NOT want to spike the heat while desoldering since
that will not help significantly in desoldering and might damage the
IC's being desoldered more

BTW feel free to contact me if you happen across spare PACE sensatemp
handles or if you want any pace MBT (Build in Vacuum and air) power
suppilies

thanks... that would not be me... I am looking for tips...