Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] l.c1@ntlworld.com is offline

Default House settlement repairs - fixing cracked lintels

Hi,

I am getting a bit doubtful about doing this myself but I thought I'd
see if there is anyone who has !

I live in an 1870's property that has signs of settlement, the
property is of solid stone construction with some quite large stones,
e the lintels are 36" by 8".

These have showed sign of cracking, the crack is the height of the
stop but does not appear to be all the way through. I have been
speaking to a builder who I casually know and he has suggested that he
has seen three ways of fixing this. These are

1. "Stitching in" - This seems to be placing steel bars above the
cracked stones so that they then take the weight of the structure and
hence no additional weight on the cracked stone so they wont get
worse.

2."Stapling" - cut about 4 inches off the front of the stone and then
fire in staples which will stop re-enforce the stone and prevent the
cracking getting worse. The 4" that were removed are replaced by a
stone mix which faces off the repair.

3.Replacing the stone is also an option but have you seen the price of
stone these days !!!

Anyone done any of these ?
If so comments appreciated...in fact any comments appreciated,

Cheers
l.c