Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Elec Question-Stove, uwave 220/110V

"Charles Bishop" wrote in message
A friend of mine asked me a question I didn't know the answer to, so I
told her I'd ask you guys.

She has a stove-oven/microwave combination. She is going to get a new
stove/oven and a microwave but the microwave will be separate. Currently
(heh) she has just the 220V outlet for the stove. Can she take one leg of
the 224V circuit and run an outlet for the microwave? Her reasoning is
that she should be able to since it was done before, just inside the
stove.

What say those more knowledgeable?

No. The microwave must be on a 120 volt 15 or 20 amp circuit depending on
the unit's nameplate rating. I am familiar with these types of changeouts
because those combo units were installed in quite a few townhouses in my
area that I service. In most cases I have found that there already is a 120
volt 20 amp circuit wire in the wall above the stove. I surmised that the
electricians who wired these units were told to wire for a hood fan or a
microwave and installed the wiring for such during their rough-in. You
might want to investigate that.

When my customers change from the combo stove/microwave to a separate stove
with a overhead microwave, they usually have to get some overhead cabinet
work done. The new microwave is supported by a wall bracket and by two long
bolts that come through the shelf inside of the top cabinet. In the cases
that I have seen there is no top cabinet, just a fascia board that matches
the cabinets. Your friend may have a similar situation.