Posted to alt.home.repair
PaPaPeng PaPaPeng is offline

Default Thermostat Issues.

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 19:30:50 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:
I have a oil furnace and have recently replaced the older dial
thermostat with a digital thermostat. The problem I am having is that
at times the furnace will not turn off when the desired temp is
rached, ie, the thermostat is set at 68 but the furnace will run until
it is 74. I thought that maybe air from inside the walls was causing
the thermostat to read a different temp so i caulked the holes but am
still having the problem. Help!

Digital thermostats don't work, won't work, and can't be made to work.

Get a manual one, preferably the kind with the little blob of Mercury.

No shop stocks the mercury stuff anymore. Environmentally toxic.
Gwad. I hate the electronic stuff. And I used to fix electronics for
a living. I can never remember the instructions and they are not
intuitive to use or to figure out how to set. All I want is an ON OFF
switch with a "just about here is right" kind of set point for a
thermostat switch. Same thing with the microwave oven. All I need is
a mechanical dial power setting and a clockwork timer. Nothing to
read and no multiple finger stabs at the membrane switch.