Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default Positioning a satellite dish?

Eddy wrote:
Hi.

Overheard the man supervising our builders saying, "Don't you worry
about putting the satellite dish back, we'll get the SKY man in to do
that"!

What's happening is that the satellite dish is currently attached to the
chimney but after the building works have finished it needs to be
repositioned down the other end of the house - where it can still face
the same direction.

Now I would have thought that re-positioning it is a fairly simple
matter of attaching the appropriate fixing to the side of the house,
popping the dish onto it, and then (most importantly) getting the angle
right.

At worst, getting the angle right (in my thinking) can be accomplished
by having one person up the ladder and another person reporting on the
TV reception from the TV end of the cable. In other words: a fairly
straightforward DIY job

. . or am I wrong and a no-doubt expensive "SKY man" needs to visit?

Eddy.

Yes you can do it yourself, remember though there are two adjustments,
vertical and horizontal. Also be sure you are setting it up on the
correct satellite! If you can see the TV and set the Sky box to the
signal strength option you can fine tune it with this, but you have to
get a reasonable signal first. What I did was set up mine outside fixed
on a workmate where I could see the TV. When I got it at its optimum I
used a compass to find the direction it was pointing then made a simple
device from card a piece of string and a weight to get the tilt angle.
When I fixed it on the wall I used these to position the dish, then fine
tuned it with my wife's help.