Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding,sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Desoldering question (Miller XMT welder repair)

None of those little solder suckers compare to a real properly
functioning desoldering station. When I spent a summer working at a
fiends stereo repair shop we had the Hako deoldering stations and I
could desolder blown output modules faster than you could even uncoil
your solder wick.

I don't think anyone who's used one can argue against it being the superior
choice, but wick and other methods have their place, they fit comfortably in
a small portable toolbox.