Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Desoldering question (Miller XMT welder repair)

On 2008-01-30, Don Foreman wrote:

The name (SMD2000) suggests that it is intended mostly for use with
surfacemount devices. Very little solder is used per connection with
these tiny devices and soldering irons (as by Pace) are quite small.
A better choice for larger connections, like switches in a welder,
would be a heavier iron (Weller?) and a manual soldersucker as
"Soldapullt".
http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bi...uct/2920-0019/

No, these things (at least with the right handpiece, like the
SX70) can remove an INCREDIBLE amount of solder in one slurp.
Remember, companies won't pay $2500 for something like this if
it didn't actually work. One nice thing about this sort of unit
is it has a temperature-controlled heater with temperature
readout of the tip, and the heating tip is also the sucker, so
you don't have to switch quickly from soldering iron to sucker
before the joint cools. Another nice thing about the high-end
Pace and Weller gear is that individual replacement parts are
available, so you can replace any single piece that wears out or
breaks.

Iggy wasn't replacing a high-power switch, but an electronic
switch on the control circuit board.

Those Soldapullt things are a JOKE compared to a Pace dsoldering
system.

I routinely salvage some expensive 68 pin through-hole
connectors on 6-layer boards. I can just barely tell which pins
are connected to the ground plane and which aren't when using
the Pace.
With a soldering iron and a soldapullt I would never be able to
desolder one of those ground pins, the solder would freeze
before I could get the soldapullt on it.

Jon