The Natural Philosopher

Default Wiring a CAT5e home network

Andy Hall wrote:

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:22:13 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Fishter wrote:

Hi The Natural Philosopher
In you wrote:

You can get at least 8 GBPS down a fiber.

You can get a whole lot more than that in one fibre! 100x 2.5Gbps channels
(wavelength division multiplexing). Way over the top for home use. 10Gbps
is probably more in the DIYer's range.

I wasn't going to complicate things with WDM. :-)

AND the MUX gear is not cheap for that. Last time I checked a single SDH
circuit was up to about 8Gbps. That's expensive enough!

BTW I think you meant 10Mbps for d-i-y, not 10Gbps. 10 GBPs is probably
the total UK internet bandwidth ;-)

It's a touch more than that. ;-)

There is considerable fibre capacity under the Atlantic that was built
during the .com boom and has never been lit.

Under some London streets, especially around Docklands, there is so
much fibre, that if it ever were lit, the paving slabs would glow.

You misunderstand. I didn;t say maxiumum fiber bandwidth, I said maximum
uK internet bandwidth.

Last time I talked to the ISP's it was a couble of 100Mbps peering links
between ISP's in Telehouse etc. I think its getting to be fibers now,
but they aren't running their internationals much more than a few
hundred Mbps at the moment AFAIK.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl