Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks Kevin Ricks is offline

Default Elec Question-Stove, uwave 220/110V

Charles Bishop wrote:
A friend of mine asked me a question I didn't know the answer to, so I
told her I'd ask you guys.

She has a stove-oven/microwave combination. She is going to get a new
stove/oven and a microwave but the microwave will be separate. Currently
(heh) she has just the 220V outlet for the stove. Can she take one leg of
the 224V circuit and run an outlet for the microwave? Her reasoning is
that she should be able to since it was done before, just inside the
stove.

What say those more knowledgeable?

NO. The stove breaker would allow 40 or 50 Amps before it trips. Wiring
for the microwave would only be 20A or even 15A. An overload on the
microwave could cause a fire.
I am pretty sure a tap off is not allowed even if you were to add a
smaller breaker after the stove outlet. Also some older stove outlets do
not have the neutral wire that would be needed for the 120V.

Kevin