Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob in Phx Bob in Phx is offline

Default Desoldering question (Miller XMT welder repair)

Iggy,
years ago, I got a broken Pace de-soldering handpiece. I repaired the
broken top ( a couple of small L brackets). So there I was a de-soldering
gun with no vacuum source. The thrift shops came to my rescue. I found a
daisy seal a meal. A little bit of fish tank air tubing, a foot switch and a
standard light dimmer, all fashioned together in a box (
http://members.cox.net/rbelisle1/TOWER%20OF%20POWER.jpg ) and I have a temp
adjustable de-soldering system that works great. I did have to buy tips
about 2 years ago, but I bought ten on ebay and that should last forever. I
little hint, if you take out the tip and reverse it, the other end has a
bigger end!!!!

I added a couple of other things to the box, but what your looking at is the
top part, handset, timer (cause I am old and forget things) and light
dimmer. The rest of the stuff is for the variacts at the bottom.

bob in phx
On 2008-01-30, Don Foreman wrote:
The name (SMD2000) suggests that it is intended mostly for use with
surfacemount devices. Very little solder is used per connection with
these tiny devices and soldering irons (as by Pace) are quite small.
A better choice for larger connections, like switches in a welder,
would be a heavier iron (Weller?) and a manual soldersucker as
"Soldapullt".
http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bi...uct/2920-0019/

Don, which one would you recommend, I will buy whatever you think is
the right one.

To use them, you need to have a soldering gun in one hand and pump in
the other hand, right?

Avoid the cheapos from Radio Shack, the Edsyn Soldapullt is far
superior. It's simply a trigger-released spring-loaded plunger. The
tip is teflon, self-clears when the tool is cocked. They can suck a
rather surprising amount of solder per shot. They're way too big and
clunky for surfacemount work, but they are great for thru-hole and for
soldered terminals.

Yes, I obviously have no knowledge or skill to work with modern,
miniature circuit boards. But the stuff like that Miller display, I
could fix.

Miller, also, has done a great job at making repairable circuit
boards.