Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Desoldering question (Miller XMT welder repair)

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:12:18 -0600, Ignoramus19508

On 2008-01-30, Don Foreman wrote:
The name (SMD2000) suggests that it is intended mostly for use with
surfacemount devices. Very little solder is used per connection with
these tiny devices and soldering irons (as by Pace) are quite small.
A better choice for larger connections, like switches in a welder,
would be a heavier iron (Weller?) and a manual soldersucker as
"Soldapullt".
http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bi...uct/2920-0019/

Don, which one would you recommend, I will buy whatever you think is
the right one.

The one I have is the DS017, their original model. If you work much
with very static-sensitive circuitry than the DS017LS might be a good
choice.

To use them, you need to have a soldering gun in one hand and pump in
the other hand, right?

Yes. Get the joint thoroughly molten, adding solder if necessary,
then apply tip of soldersucker and push the button. Thuup! If it's
a part on a printed wiring board, it often works best to suck out the
holes from the non-component side because the sucker tip has a clear
shot at the hole.

It doesn't always suck the joint clear dry, but usually dry enough
that wires and leads can then be jiggled or popped loose. Sometimes
parts just fall out, but not always.

I have developed the habit of flipping my wrist and whacking the
plunger on the bench to recock after each use. Then it's ready to go
when the next joint is melted.