Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding,sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Desoldering question (Miller XMT welder repair)

A solder sucker ain't the same as a desolder station. Of course solder
wick is useful but the desolder station works for pretty well everything
here. But probably too large an investment for occasional use.

A good compromise are those suction bulb desoldering irons, I've used one
for probably 15 years now. I never had any luck at all with the separate
solder suckers, it's too hard to apply heat and suction at the same time. I
keep wick around too, neither is a one size fits all solution.