Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding,sci.electronics.repair

Default Desoldering question (Miller XMT welder repair)

Ignoramus19508 fired this volley in
:
I think that I would like to find Cirk-Grind device and also should
buy more tips. This is actually a very nice station if I get it to its
potential. I do have a manual for it also.

Iggy, it's been a while since I had my Pace, but IIRC, those tips are
plated with Indium/Nickle alloy to prevent them from being wetted by or
amalgamated with the solder -- even in the bore. Thus, don't use a hard
tool to clean the bore; use a plated copper lead from a resistor, etc.
If you scratch the bore, it quickly begins to corrode and amalgamate with
solder.

I think I still have some 0.025 tips for that. If I can find them, I'll
drop 'em in an envelope.

LLoyd