Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Solar Panal info req for domestic use

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 01:03:08 +0000 someone who may be Derek Geldard
wrote this:-

I looked in to it for hot water, but it's of no use in the winter ! It's
too cold!

What is too cold? The exterior temperature? Solar panels work on the
sun, not the external temperature.

Hrmmph.

"Work on the sun"?

Correct. If you wish to assert that they work differently you might
like to explain your theory.

Does the sun not heat parts of the earth on a seasonal basis and raise
the external temperature ? Is summer not warmer than winter? Is not
the warmth-tude not dependant on the received energy flux from the
sun?

Many words, but they add little to the discussion.

The facts are quite simple. Solar panels work by absorbing heat from
sunlight. As they have a small mass they warm up more quickly than
the surroundings. This heat can then be transferred elsewhere. The
external temperature has nothing to do with this process, which is
why they can be used in the antarctic.

A solar panel will lose heat to the surroundings. However, this is
minimised by various forms of insulation.

Thus the assertion that it is too cold in winter for solar panels is
incorrect.

I am surprised I have to assert this, my daughter teaches this in
primary school I could arrange for private coaching for you (And Mary
"Classicist, and Quantum Physicist" Fisher) if it is really needed.

Excellent, more personal abuse. Do keep it up.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh