Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O. Mike O. is offline

Default a choice: unisaw w/ unifence vs unisaw w/ beis

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 17:19:12 -0700, "Kevin"
wrote:

2003 unisaw w/ 52" unifence
2003 unisaw w/50" bies
both are priced about the same..
I have a Delta contactors w/ 40" home shop bies. I like the bies, but have
never worked with a unifence.

I've owned both and prefer the Bies. I sold my Unifence about a year
ago but it had been removed from my saw about a year before that.
Since you have a Bies, you already know what to expect.

The Uni is accurate enough but to me the biggest drawback is the need
to remove the fence from the arm and put it on the opposite side if I
needed to cut from the other side of the blade. Granted that was a
rare occasion for me but still it seemed a pain to take it off, bolt
it to the other side and then have to move it back when I was
finished.

You can also lay the fence down on the Uni to cut thin stock but I did
that once just to look at it and I don't believe I ever made a cut
with the fence in that position.

The rails on the unifence look like all Aluminum. Is that a pro or con?

Assuming you're not going to beat it up, it'll be fine.

I guess I need to run down to the store and kicks the tires on a Unifence.

That's your best bet.

Mike O.