Posted to misc.consumers.house
Banty Banty is offline

Default Looking into refi 438K

In article , user says...

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:39:32 -0600, John A. Weeks III
wrote:
In article ,
Samantha Hill - take out TRASH to reply
wrote:

Well, I don't know where you live, but where I live, $400K only gets you
a relatively decent starter home in an okay borderline/transitional
neighborhood. And it would be hard for a teacher to commute two hours
to work just so they can have an affordable house payment.

John A. Weeks III wrote:

Well, that is a key example of what is wrong with our public
education system. Teachers rich enough for a half-million
dollar house, or dumb enough to get a loan that they cannot
afford. Either way, I wouldn't want them teaching my kids
anything, especially not economics.

My point is that we constantly hear about teachers being so
underpaid. Well, if that was true, then how could a teacher
afford to make payments on a $550K house? Either the underpaid
teacher thing is a big lie, or your district pays way too much
for teachers.

Well, yeah, you hear a lot of things that are exaggerated
or untrue.

I know teachers that are wildly underpaid. Others that
are too expensive at any price. Both in the same district.
You can't just tar them all with the same brush.

Realistically, teachers are generally going to get paid
whatever it takes to retain them, since most places have
kids that need to be educated. So an expensive West Coast
distict might pay 3x as much as some Mid-west district,
and yet the two still provide approximately the same
lifestyle.

- Rich

Oh shaddup Rich donctha know teachers never deserve any more than the parents of
the kids they teach :-P