Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default HELP!!! Leak in water service lateral!

Norminn wrote:

Zz Yzx wrote:

Hi all;

I just discovered a leak in my water service lateral between the meter
and the shut-0ff valve where the pipe enters the house. It looks like
the buried pipe makes a straight shot from the meter to the valve, as
the leak is right where you'd expect if so. It'sa fair-sized leak
too, probably 1 or 1.5 gallons per minute.

BUT, the soil around the leak is saturated with water, and the holes
I've dug to expose the pipe are full of muddy water with nowhere to
drain. I can't find the pipe or be exactly sure where the leak is.

I've called some plumbers but none are immediately available. Is
there anyway to find the pipe and leak aside from digging up the whole
planter?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

If there is truly that much water flowing the pipe should be easy to
locate. Just take a 2x4
or a rod and poke into the soggiest area. I'd sure turn off the water
at the meter. If nothing
can be used to locate the pipe, having the water shut off would allow
water to drain away and
make digging easier.

The amount of water will soon cost more than a
plumber )

That would take a lot. I had a full break on a 3/4" line from my meter
that dumped 12,000 gallons overnight before I found it, and that only
cost like $60 extra. I doubt you'd get a plumber to show up for $60,
much less do anything.