Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default New Nova will be here tonight!

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 18:28:32 GMT, "George" wrote:

The standard rest has to be one of the best I've used, and the offset post
on the banjo is something you won't have to learn to love, it'll put a smile
on your face every time you snug up to the turning.

The Jet has an offset, also...
It took me a while to figure out why the banjo was so LONG.. until I was
hollowing out a little box this morning and realized that you can swivel the
head to 45 degrees and still use the standard rest..

My only bitch so far is that the height lock for the tool rest can only be used
from one position.. I took advantage of the jet's 3 threaded holes to move the
locking lever to the side..
Not a big thing, but I find myself hitting the banjo lock when I'm adjusting the
rest height..

I have the short rest, and it's nice when you're doing something less than
10" long. All I added was a longer 1" post for my iron curved rest.
Ol'Blue had a taller banjo.

I ordered several rests from Woodcraft this morning: 4" & 6" straight, small and
large bowl curves and 2 posts..
Gotta be set up for bowls AND pens..

You may find yourself in a dilemma if you plan on using both lathes, because
the grind angles for your JET won't be the optimum for the new rests. I
shortened up my bevels to a more "Irish" grind within weeks of transitioning
to the 3000 to take advantage of the flat top. Took some nose off of my
forged gouges, too.

Most of the rests that I use/used on the jet were flat top.. a nice (Delta)
French curve, a 4" flat top rest and a box scraper rest..
None of those fit the Nova, since they either came with shorter posts or I
*damn* cut an inch or so OFF the posts to make them fit..

Unless I have "turning company", I'm planning on using the Jet mostly for
buffing.. I may do some spindle turning on it if the Nova won't handle it..
I don't think I've ever turned anything more than 24", though..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing