Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary Slusser Gary Slusser is offline

Default Water Treatment Help

On Jan 29, 7:34 am, "David L. Martel" wrote:
Scoot,

Sorry but I've no real idea what is causing your problem. Hard water is
usually water that contains a lot of calcium. That's what water softeners
remove, calcium. Enough testing has been done to eliminate calcium as the
problem. Don't buy systems designed around guesswork. Take water samples
(correctly collected) and these crystals to a chemist.

Dave M.

Hardness is calcium and magnesium, which a softener removes and they
also remove ferrous iron, manganese, lead, copper, radium etc.. All
positive changed ions.

Scoot, this build up can be caused by a number of things that a
softener does not remove. Like high TDS (total dissolved solids),
sulfates, chlorides, sodium etc.. But not "sulfur". I think the guy
probably said sulfate or sulfates and you heard "sulfur". Most of
those things are negative charged ions and you would use an anion
resin in a softener regenerated with softener salt to remove them.
That can be expensive and the TDS will not be reduced or removed.

Water is either soft, meaning 0 gpg of hardness (in industry it is
measured in ppm or mg/l and it takes 17.1 of them to make 1 gpg) or
the water is hard, meaning there is 1 or more gpg of hardness in the
water.

Alkalinity is not removed by a softener, nor is the pH changed by ion
exchange softening. The TDS may be increased slightly depending on the
amount of ion exchange that is done.

Gary Slusser
Quality Water Associates