Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default New Nova will be here tonight!

"mac davis" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 01:25:55 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Congrats Mac!

I'm sure you will turning the spindles off that thing in short order.
Nothing like getting a new tool you are really looking forward to
using.

Robert

Thanks.. it seems like a really nice lathe.. very smooth and quiet..
I thought that I had my Jet 1442 tuned pretty well and had little or no
vibration.. Then I turned the Nova on last night and realized how my Jet
practically jumps around compared to the new one..

Just spent MORE money this morning, though..
I knew I'd need adapters for the larger spindle size, but thought that I'd
be
able to use my tool rest assortment from the Jet.. NOPE.. the posts are at
least
an inch too short..

The standard rest has to be one of the best I've used, and the offset post
on the banjo is something you won't have to learn to love, it'll put a smile
on your face every time you snug up to the turning.

I have the short rest, and it's nice when you're doing something less than
10" long. All I added was a longer 1" post for my iron curved rest.
Ol'Blue had a taller banjo.

You may find yourself in a dilemma if you plan on using both lathes, because
the grind angles for your JET won't be the optimum for the new rests. I
shortened up my bevels to a more "Irish" grind within weeks of transitioning
to the 3000 to take advantage of the flat top. Took some nose off of my
forged gouges, too.