Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe Owen Lowe is offline

Default What do you look for on a woodturning club website?

In article
,
" wrote:

This is what is up now:

http://www.alamoturners.com/

He was tired of the complaining, the "suggestions of how to make it
better" that would take weeks of his spare time to make some of the
lesser experienced (or lazier) people, happy.

One suggestion for the Alamo site - make sure all year dates are up to
date and showing the current year. For example, the officers shows
2006-2007. When I read this, it sends up red flags... has the page been
updated since then and they merely overlooked changing the year for the
new officers or is it an old page which means the Jan's Demo on
birdhouse earrings is old too? Now I can't use the information on the
page since I have no idea whether it's accurate or not.

I am in favor of simple websites. Tricky Javascript, Flash or other
doodads merely complicate and frustrate not only the viewer but the
site's manager as well. There are so many browsers out there, so many
monitor sizes, and so many 'net connection methods - plus the
inexperience of many viewers to troubleshoot at their end of the stream
- that you can't rely on any single notion of how your viewer is
accessing the pages.

Here is the one I made and update monthly which takes about 10 minutes:

http://www.northwestwoodturners.com

It's a little clunky in some aspects, but it's simple and seems to play
well with a number of browsers. Each December or January, I go through
every page and downloadable file to change the names, emails and phone
#s of the guilty plus check web links. Otherwise it's merely a matter of
uploading newsletters (which the editor does on his own) and deleting
the past event and adding the next month in the progression - I try to
detail out at least 2 months.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners