Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] mail@atics.co.uk is offline

Default Condensation, or water leak?

On 28 Jan, 22:28, "Phil L" wrote:
A.Lee wrote:
Phil L wrote:

A.Lee wrote:
I had to visit a house today, as they had a water leak. Or rather,
their downstairs toilet keeps getting wet.

Where can the water be condensing from for it to be condensation? -
the ceiling fungus alone is an obvious sign of water
penetration....if the bog isn't very big, it may be easier and
cheaper to pull down the cieling in there and replace that rather
than mangle a good floor upstairs.

Well, yes, I was going to pull down the ceiling to have a look, but I
need the owners go-ahead before I can do that.
I was pretty sure it was a leak, but had no way of finding out, as any
leak would be in the floor/ceiling void.

Just tell them that you think there is a leak there as all signs point
towards that, and in any case, the fungus ceiling needs replacing anyway.
It obviously cannot stay as it is and something needs to be done, I assume
they've tried various heat / ventilation methods?- Hide quoted text -

Fungus = ceiling needs replacing in not necessarily the case

I suggest for and INITIAL view you use an endoscope or small hole
torch and mirror
Small hole(s) can be done with, say, 2" hole cutter (keep the plug if
poss)
Identify source and fix it with or (possibly) without) removal
IF fungus is Pezziza or similar plaster fungus (as is likely) then
plaster removal can be limited to what is necessary to fix leak and
dry out structure
Of course it may be simplest to knock down the lot but without
seeing.... difficult to say
Chris