Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFI for whirlpool tub

wrote in message
I am installing a whirlpool bathtub.The instructions say I have to
plug the pump into a 15a 110v seperate circuit protected with GFCI,
and the heater into a 15a 110v seperate circuit protected with gfci.I
take it I have to run wires to my main service box.I notice that gfci
circuit breakers are very expensive.Can I just install regular circuit
breakers and hook them up to gfci sockets by my bathtub.
Thanks

Usually a whirlpool bathtub requires a 20 amp circuit for each. You could
use the receptacles as ground fault protection but they would need to be
located away from the tub so that they could not be accessible by someone
standing in the tub. I don't know if this would pass inspection though as
the inspector might consider this a bathroom receptacle.

I usually use GFI switches for hydromassage bathtubs. They look like GFI
receptacles but do not have the openings to plug something in. The cost is
just a little more than a GFI receptacle. I prefer to locate them in a
linen closet in a bathroom or behind a door; a place where they are not
visually obvious, but readily accessible.