Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT ...one for the sparkies

Matt wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 13:28:02 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

neverwas wrote:
snip
"There was or is a DC power cable across the north of the North Sea
beween Scotland and Norway????" Purpose of which to share power
between those two countries which have hydro generating capabilities.
Seem to remember reading about it in the mid 1950s.

No way.
ISTR the cross-channel link to France was the announced as the first
UK-Europe power sharing. And that seems to be confirmed by a quick
Google which brings up the history here with no mention of Scotland
until 2001 to NI
http://www2.theiet.org/oncomms/secto...53EE3D46B2112D

Yes. I visited it in the 60's and it was as far as I know the ONLY
external grid link in the UK at that time, and as far as I know still is.

If you visited in the 60's then you visited the old now defunct 160MW
link.

Yup. That was it!

The new one, rated at 2000MW only entered service in 1986.

2GW? I suppose solid state switches make it feasible.

There is also a link to the Isle of Man built about 6 years ago, one
under construction to the Netherlands for completion in 2010,

Found that one.

and two
others planned to link to Ireland and Norway.

Norway sounds unlikely..why there?