Seppo Renfors

Default Copper Casting In America (Trevelyan)

Eric Stevens wrote:

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 01:21:22 GMT, Seppo Renfors
wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 01:49:44 GMT, Seppo Renfors
wrote:

They are a result of the small air bubbles trapped throughout the metal
caused by melting it in less than controlled conditions.

I can understand that during a melting process where molecules are at
their most active, some reaction to air and a certain amount of mixing
can occur. What I find difficult is that an annealing process causes
bubbles -UNLESS it is overheated to a melting point locally. How else
does something get INTO the metal to cause bubbles when it is pure to
begin with?

At high temperatures oxygen is soluble in copper.

So you say the copper has to be melted at that point, as you claim
"soluble" - in a SOLUTION! As I thought...

Oxygen is soluble in copper at temperatures below its melting point.

"Soluble" is a word that refers to something dissolving into a liquid
mixture of (whatever). You cannot have something "dissolve" (also
related to "solution") into a solid so it remains solid! Impossible!

SOLUBLE - adjective 1 (of a substance) able to be dissolved,
especially in water - OED.
DISSOLVE - verb 1 [no obj.] (of a solid) become incorporated into a
liquid so as to form a solution - OED.
SOLUTION - noun 2 a liquid mixture in which the minor component (the
solute) is uniformly distributed within the major component (the
solvent). [mass noun] the process or state of being dissolved in a
solvent. - OED.

QED
[..]

--
SIR - Philosopher unauthorised
The one who is educated from the wrong books is not educated, he is