jim rozen

Default New Chinese mill vs old high quality mill

In article , Ned Simmons
says...

One thing that I worry about on my machines is the fact
that once grit or a particle gets imbedded in the plastic
it'll likely get dragged back and forth for a long time. My
mill has bellows way covers so is pretty well protected,
but the lathe has a dovetail bed with a nice wide flat
surface to catch anything that falls on it.

But isn't the ability of softer way sliders a plus? Then
the abrasive particle will simply embed deeper as time
goes on, whereas in cast iron/cast iron systems, it
will embed in something *hard* and keep on wearing
the bed ways?

Has anyone created bed sliders out if, say, brass or bronze?
If not, the reason probably is that they get charged as
a lap does, and will wear the harder bed rapidly.

Jim

please reply to: