Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
marc marc is offline

Default Polyurethane on Acrylic Paint

On Jan 28, 5:00*pm, wrote:
Hi,

I recently painted a design in acrylic paint on a piece of maple wood
that will eventually be subject to elements such as UV, weather, foot
traffic, etc. I've heard that marine polyurethane is the way to go to
protect this sort of project, but I'm having a heard time finding one
that is water-based and would not smear my acrylic paint.
Is any water-based polyurethane (I've found some with UV protectant)
going to do the job?

Also, what are the benefits/features/differences of matte, satin, and
gloss?

I've found quite a few water-based polyurethanes at this site:

http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarest...r-finish-polyu...

Any other suggestions for this project are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Have you thought of checking marine supply websites, Boatersworld.com
and WestMarine.com come to mind. They are probably the best source
for quality marine grade finishes. As for poly, you might want to
consider looking at more of a varnish for your application. Boaters
World sells Pettit Z-Spar Flagship Varnish, which is what you will
find a number of boat minded folks (OK, I am one of them, I have a 24'
Sea Ray) using on their teak for max protection. I've never tried
this on acrylic paint, so I can't attest to what it will do, but the
staff at either of these stores would be the best source of
information. I believe Boaters World has a livechat on their website
for a quick answer.