Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default Condensation, or water leak?

BRG wrote:

A.Lee wrote:
I had to visit a house today, as they had a water leak. Or rather,
their downstairs toilet keeps getting wet.

How old is the property?
Where are the soil stack runs?

1940's, directly where the leaks are, though the mains pipes also run
along that wall.

What is the outside wall made of - brick, stone, cavity, solid - or is it a
prefabricated type of construction?

Double brick with cavity

You say the "plaster" ceiling is solid, would that be plasterboard or lath
and plaster - or possibly even the old asbestos cement type of board.

I think it is pasterboard, though am not sure.

Is the ceiling wet and crumbly on the edges against the outside wall?

Not particularly - I stuck a screwdriver into it, expecting it to go
through, but it was quite solid.

You say that the walls are wet on the inside, is that wall facing into the
prevailing wet weather direction and is it wet only in one place or from
ceiling level down to the floor?

No, only wet on the bottom corner,up around 3 feet, right where the soil
stack enters the ground.

Is that particular room well heated or well ventilated with vents through
walls?

No heat, but they say they keep the small window open regularly.

If it's a cavity wall, and the soil stack is of asbestos cement or cast iron
(even plastic) there could be a leak where it passes through the wall and
dropping into the cavity onto the window lintel and soaking through the
internal skin - ditto if it's solid or stone but then the water would tend
to 'soak' down - possibly following cracks in the compo or black mortar
jointing.

It is cast iron, and I also suspected it was leaking in the cavity, as
the wall where it enters the ground is thoroughly soaked.
I've just sent off an email to the owner (in California), to see how
they want me to proceed, i told them I cannot do a thing until I have
pulled down the ceiling to inspect the pipework.
Thanks for the thoughts.
Alan.