Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Condensation, or water leak?

A.Lee wrote:
I had to visit a house today, as they had a water leak. Or rather,
their downstairs toilet keeps getting wet.

I had a quick look, expecting to find a dripping pipe, but couldnt see
any fault on the visible pipework.
The water is all over the toilet walls/ceiling downstairs, and has
been there for a while, as there is mushroom like growth on the
ceiling. Directly above is the upstairs toilet and sink. There were
maybe 20 droplets in one corner of the room, and the rest of the room
looked like someone had just had a shower in it.
The outside wall is also wet from just below window height.
Unfortunately, upstairs is covered in laminate, so I couldnt take up
the flooring to see if one of the pipes is leaking from between the
floor onto the ceiling below.

I had a poke at the plaster ceiling, but it all seemed quite solid.
At the rear of the downstairs toilet is an unheated small room (3'
sq.), which has a slight dampness at the ceiling, but is otherwise
dry.

My main thought was there must be a dripping pipe under the upstairs
floor.Though the ceiling doesnt look like it has had water running
through it.

My query-
Has anyone come across such a bad damp problem that has been caused by
condensation?
Am I missing something?
Thanks
Alan.

You are missing a leak.

Where can the water be condensing from for it to be condensation? - the
ceiling fungus alone is an obvious sign of water penetration....if the bog
isn't very big, it may be easier and cheaper to pull down the cieling in
there and replace that rather than mangle a good floor upstairs.
This is a good advert for not having upstairs bathroom floors tiled /
laminated etc.