Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default Rewiring A 3-way Switched Outlet

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:35:28 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I have a 1950's house with an outlet in the living room that is
controlled by two 3-way switches. I would like to make this outlet
"always hot".

Here's the setup:

One 3-way switch for the outlet is housed in a triple-wide box with
two other 3 switches that control the 1st & 2nd floor landing lights.
The other 3-way switch is housed in a double wide box with a SPST for
a kitchen light.

The outlet (1st floor), the kitchen light (1st floor) and the 2nd
floor landing light are on one circuit. The 1st floor landing light is
on a different circuit (a 2nd floor circuit). Both of these circuits
share one neutral.

I know how the 3-way switches are wired, so I know I could simply move
some wires between terminals to make the outlet always hot, (which I
won't do!) but I'd really like to know the "proper" way to do it.
i.e. eliminate the switches for the outlet, patch the wall, replace
the switch plates, etc. Is it proper to retain the existing 3-way
switch wiring and make wirenut connections inside the switch boxes and
then cover a portion of the box and install smaller switch plates or
do I need to pull new wires, replace the boxes, etc?

I'm thinking that wirenut connections, along with the shared neutral,
would make this really confusing for whoever comes along next and
tries to figure out the wiring for these devices.

Thanks!

I would take the switches loose and wire nut all 3 wires together in
the box and blank the opening. If you are really worried about the
next guy, just take a piece of masking tape and mark "old 3-way to
receptacle"