Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default bare wire and wire nut question

On Jan 28, 1:03*am, wrote:
Ideally wires going into a wire nut will have only so much bare wire
so that that bare wire is entirely underneath the nut and you only see
insulated wire coming out the bottom. *It seems like by design there's
maybe a 1/4" of insulation tucked up in the nut (measuring from the
nut's bottom edge).

My question is what if one of the wires in the nut has its insulation
cut point at about level with the nut's bottom. *So that if you look
straight on from the side you don't see any bare wire, but if you tilt
the nut so you can underneath it you can see the bare wire just above
the rim.

I can't imagine this really matters, but thought i'd check first. *I'm
finding this happening to me occasionally as I do a project. *It's
when I've got 4 #12's to fit in a red wire nut. *I twist them with my
klein's first (as directed by the inspector). *Occasionally, although
the wires start with the same amount of bare wire all lined up, one of
those wires slips down a bit during the twist, so that if I were to
cut off the bare twist so that that one wire will stick up well in the
nut, the rest of the wires would be pretty short.

Thanks for any advice.

I twist it, then clip it to the proper length, then screw on the nut,
works every time.

If I am pigtailing a real lot of wires (over 4) then I'll twist it,
put on a wire tie (at end of insulation), clip it to length, then
screw it. The wire tie prevents the twist from falling apart while
you clip it and get the nut on.