Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Light cove

On Jan 28, 1:55*am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

I am toying with the idea of building a light cove around the entire living
room (about 28'x22') then use recessed lights and other lights towards the
middle.

My idea is to attach a 2x6 horizontally to the concrete block wall, which
will make a "shelf" about 6" wide. *I will route the top side on the
outside to put a small notch in which I will insert a thin strip of
frosted glass or fiber glass about 3 to 4" tall so this will form the
"lip" of the shelf.

Inside the shelf I will put 48" long florescent light fixture and chain
them up all around.

This seems simple to do I just need some suggestion on how I would secure
the 2x6 sideways to the concrete block wall. *I don't want to use any
visible braces. *Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Just talked to someone that makes me think I may need to change my design.

He said that since a florescent light fixture box is say 48" long, and I
need to chain them one after another to create this continuous light effect,
the fixtures need to overlap about 4 inches. *His reasoning is that the
actual tube is not 48" long, may be 42" long with the sockets on both ends,
so if I chain them together, the socket from the last one to the socket of
the next one will create a six inch gap without lighting, therefore when I
turn on these lights, I will see light for 42", then a six inch gap, then
light for 42" again...and so on.

That seems to make sense, so to solve this I need to overlap the fixtures,
which means my "shelve" needs to be even wider?

Or will the light "wash" into each other and still have the continuously
lite effect?

MC- Hide quoted text -

You need to calculate Lumens, Using single T8 around a room will be
plenty bright for a home, How big is the room. One double fixture T8
might be equal to 320 watts, for a 16x 16 room that is near equal to
5000 watts incandesant, or Daylight, and when you dimm them the color
goes kinda red.